01 Environmental Engineering Quiz | MCQ | Practice Test1 >>What are the methods of treatment & disposal of radioactive wastes ? ?
2 >>Bacterial aerobic oxidation of polluted water in biological oxidation ponds is done to purify it. Presence of bacteria helps in ?
- (A) Evaporation & chemical precipitation.
- (B) Biological methods & adsorption in ion exchange materials.
- (C) Fixing into a solid mass with cement and sinking deep in the sea.
- (D) All (a), (b) & (c).
3 >>Main pollutant present in automobile exhaust is ?
- (A) coagulation and flocculation of colloids.
- (B) oxidation of carbonaceous matter to CO2.
- (C) nitrification or oxidation of ammonia derived from breakdown of nitrogeneous organic matter to the nitrite and eventually to the nitrate
- (D) all (a), (b) and (c).
4 >>Maximum allowable noise exposure limits for a man working for 8 hours a day in a noisy chemical plant is about __________ decibels. ?
- (A) CO
- (B) CO2
- (C) NO
- (D) hydrocarbons
5 >>Industrial workers working in leather tanning & manufacturing units are prone to suffer from ?
- (A) 20
- (B) 40
- (C) 60
- (D) 90
- (A) respirtory ailments (e.g. bronchitis).
- (B) skin diseases (e.g. dermatities).
- (C) silicosis.
- (D) blurred vision.
Download6 >>Pick out the wrong statement. ?
7 >>Peroxyacyl nitrate (PAN), a pollutant is found in the ?
- (A) Biological oxygen demand (B.O.D.) value of a sewerage sample is always lower than its chemical oxygen demand (C.O.D.) value.
- (B) Environmental pollution by NOx�emission is much higher by four stroke petrol engines as compared to the two stroke engines.
- (C) Temperature in stratosphere rises with increasing altitude.
- (D) The characteristic of a green house body is that it allows the long wavelength incoming solar radiation to come in but does not allow the short wavelength infra red radiation to escape out of the earth's atmosphere.
8 >>Foaming and priming in boiler operation can be reduced by reduction in __________ in feed water. ?
- (A) automobile exhaust.
- (B) flue gas of coal based power plant.
- (C) exhaust of nitric acid plant.
- (D) exhaust of sulphuric acid plant.
9 >>Ambient noise level can be reduced by __________ decibels by planting trees (like coconut, neem etc.) near public utility buildings (like hospitals & schools). ?
- (A) turbidity
- (B) color (Hazen)
- (C) total solids
- (D) all (a), (b) & (c)
10 >>Pick out the wrong statement. ?
- (A) 1 to 2
- (B) 5 to 10
- (C) 15 to 20
- (D) 25 to 30
- (A) Catalytic converter is fitted in automobiles to reduce carbon monoxide concentration in exhaust emissions.
- (B) Inhalation of pollutant carbon monoxide results in death by asphyxiation.
- (C) Sulphur dioxide is the main pollutant emitted from the exhaust of petrol driven automobiles.
- (D) Decomposition of plants containing chlorophyll is a natural source of carbon monoxide in atmosphere.
- (A) I-131
- (B) Sr-90
- (C) Au-198
- (D) Ra-226
Download12 >>COD of raw municipal sewage may be in the range of about __________ mg/litre. ?
13 >>Maximum permissible turbidity in potable water is __________ ppm. ?
- (A) 90-120
- (B) 100-120
- (C) 80-90
- (D) 90-110
14 >>Presence of __________ hardness is responsible for the temporary hardness in water. ?
- (A) 1
- (B) 10
- (C) 250
- (D) 1000
15 >>Dose of chlorine for disinfection of water is about __________ mg/litre of water. ?
- (A) carbonate
- (B) calcium
- (C) choride
- (D) sulphate
- (A) 0.01
- (B) 0.1
- (C) 0.3
- (D) 1
17 >>Which is the most practical and economical method for removal of suspended solid matter from polluted water ? ?
- (A) oxidation
- (B) Imhoff tank
- (C) lagoon
- (D) skimming tank
18 >>Atmospheric pollution caused by the exhaust gas of supresonic transport air-crafts is mostly in the atmospheric region called ?
- (A) Sedimentation
- (B) Skimming off
- (C) Chlorination
- (D) Biological oxidation
19 >>Iron & manganese present in the polluted water is removed by ?
- (A) thermosphere
- (B) stratosphere
- (C) troposphere
- (D) mesosphere
20 >>Water effluent generated in printing industry is decolourised by ?
- (A) simple filtration.
- (B) oxidation followed by settling & filtration.
- (C) chemical coagulation.
- (D) chlorination only.
- (A) ion exchange technique.
- (B) reverse osmosis.
- (C) electrolytic decomposition.
- (D) adsorption.